Thursday, April 23, 2009

Zilch . . .

Have you ever played that game? I just learned how on Easter. Those who know me well know that I'm not really too crazy about game playing, I do like Monopoly and of course Bunko, but card games, I'm fine just reading a book while the rest of the family plays. But, zilch is a dice game, I guess maybe I like dice games over card games, and it's actually pretty fun. Well, except for the crying opponent part of it.

We played a few games on Easter and then Trev has wanted to play every night this week, here is how you play - you play to 10,000 points, you earn points by rolling 7 dice, you need certain numbers in order to actually get points, and you must earn at least 500 points in your first turn in order to score.

You must roll a 1 or a 5 or 3 of any number each time you roll a dice. 1's are worth 100 points, 5's are worth 50 points and 3 of a kind (this is like bunko!) earns you the number on the dice x 100, with the exception of 3 1's is 1,000 points instead of 100 points. Was a little confusing the first few rounds but pretty easy after that, it just depends on just how risky you want to be. Since you have 7 dice, you can keep rolling the dice that are scoring for you, BUT if you don't get a 1, 5 or 3 of a kind, then you zilch and you lose all of the points you were earning for that turn. Now the great part is that if you keep rolling and can actually score points using ALL of your dice, you get to start over rolling all 7 dice and scoring MORE points!

This was my first roll, pretty good actually!

I took the 3's for 300 points and the 2 5's for 100 points, since I need at least 500 to get on the board, I took the 2 other dice and rolled again ~

I got a 1 and a 6, got to my 500 so I stopped.

The other cool thing you can do in this game is if the person before you had a really good roll and they left dice that they hadn't used to score, you can use those left over dice and if you roll a 1 or 5 or 3 of a kind if you have 3 dice, you will get the points that person had, plus any you earn yourself! This has worked very well for me a few times.

To end the game, once you get to 10,000 points or more, you knock on the table and then everyone has one more chance to go around and try to beat you.

Daryl, Trev and I played on Sunday night, Trev and I played on Monday night, I believe Trev won both games, Trev and I played on Tuesday night, I was having a really really good night, rolling lots of 3 of a kinds, it ended up with Trev having a little meltdown, I felt really bad, but why is it the harder you try and do bad the better you keep doing. I was laughing, it was kinda funny, although Trev didn't think so, I kept telling him it was a game, but he was pretty upset. So he wanted to play again last night, I figured he had gotten himself together and that surely I wounldn't have another great night, but, he didn't have himself together and I did another night of great rolling, which ended up in ANOTHER meltdown! So, no dice tonight, he wants to teach me a card game, but I'm standing strong in my NO!!! I can't take antoher evening watching my son get so upset over losing a dice game to his mother!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds fun (except for the crying part) We should play somtime! -Stefie

    ReplyDelete