Friday, March 6, 2009

Couponing . . . Part 2

Half way through yesterdays post I realized that it was getting much to long so I thought I'd finish off today after everything from yesterday had a chance to settle in!

When I first started using this site it was like learning a new language. What the heck is a RR, or an Easy Saver Coupon, an Ad Coupon, then there is the RP or the SS and PG. The first part of this applies only to Wal-Greens, as there are a lot of ways to make the most of the sales at this store. And I will tell you that I really really dislike this store, I almost never shopped here before last October and I don't really look forward to going there, but, for the amount of $$$ I have saved there using the sales/coupons and the fact that I save money because I'm not going to my favorite store, which has everything under the sun that I could possibly not really need but think I do. The good thing about Wal-Greens is that I have my list and I very rarely get something that is not on my list (unless my daughter is with me that is!), it is nice to go in there and know about what you are going to be spending.

Wal-Greens has a weekly newspaper ad, within that ad are coupons good only for Wal-Greens, you must have the coupons to get the sales, and usually those coupon items are not marked in the store, sometimes making it interesting to figure out exactly what is on sale, but . . . it's worth it to figure it out, and if you get the wrong item, the coupon won't work and then that's alway fun for the cashier to figure out why!

On top of cutting out and using the Wal-Greens coupons you can also use a manufacturer coupon, one per item if you have multiple coupons, thus increasing your savings. This is what coupon mom does for you and that is where the RR and the SS and PG come in. RR stands for Red Plum and SS stand for Smart Source, these are the weekly coupon inserts, once a month there is usually a PG for Procter & Gamble.

Wal-Greens also has a montly rebate book, in this book are instant rebate items and also mail in rebates, I personally like the instant rebates best, but I'll take the savings any way I can. And it's not just mail in rebates any more, you can do your shopping, come home and enter your rebate items in your account on-line, accumlate them over the month and then submit on-line at the end of the month, pretty easy, I just got my first card with some rebates on them. The rebate items are usually marked in the store, making it much easier to find the items your looking for.

The rebates work just like a coupon, again you can double up the rebates with a manufaturer coupon for additional savings, one of the best items I've gotten doing this is razors, for almost nothing. The mail in rebates obviously you get after you submit the required information.

RR stands for Register Rewards. These are like little refund coupons that can be used for a future purchase, usually they are good for 2 weeks, so be sure to not let them expire before you use them. You can get Register Rewards for buying certain items that are shown in the weekly ads, like the toothpaste. These rewards print out once you have finished the transaction, be sure to get them. The very first time I did this I got to the car and relized that I didn't the $5.00 RR that I earned, so I had to go back, which is a pain, but was worth the $5.00.

According to my print out's for Wal-Greens this week I should save about 70% on my 2 trips, I think that is definately worth my time spent printing the list and finding the coupons.

The grocery store coupons work the same way, it is just much simpler since there are not so many ways to save. Although, since I've been watching the Safeway ads lately, they have been having additional coupons in the ad that you have to actually cut out to get the savings, in addition to using your club card. But it's the same principle, find the items that are on sale and then find any additional coupons for more savings, it really does add up.

I hope this make sense, if not let me know and I will try and clarify. I'd love to hear about your deals too!

No comments:

Post a Comment