Thursday, January 29, 2009

A sad state for our schools

I just got home from a budget crisis meeting held at Trevor's school, I don't even know where to begin. The school is in a budget crisis because of our state, nothing that the school had done wrong. I don't follow the news much (I know I should) so while I know that things in general are not good, I did not realize the impact that this unbalanced budget will be having on our schools. Long story short, the Oakley Unified School District needs to reduce their budget by almost 4 million dollars for the next fiscal year. Being new in the district, I have to say that I was very impressed with the Superintendent who did the presentation and feel very confident that our kids are at the top of the priority list as they are making decisions on what cuts need to be made. I guess it will all be public knowledge tomorrow so he did not want to go into details of how many teachers are being told that they will not have jobs for the next school year, and of course this is all based on "proposals" so they were giving us information based on information that could change tomorrow. Nothing is set in stone and the decisions that they have to make on who to give notice to can all be reversed if things to end up better than expected . . . it just makes me sad. Our kids are our future but their education is at the bottom of the list as far as the state is concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment